To target mobile apps, you can add App Bundles or App IDs to a domain list. You can either target using a whitelist or exclude using a blacklist. For Google/Android inventory these are created using the App Bundle Name. For Apple/iOS inventory these are created using the App ID.
Scenario 1: Using App Bundles/App IDs as an Optimization Technique
When viewing the reports from your campaigns, you will see stats regarding specific app bundles in the Site reports. To get the App Bundle Name and/or App ID click the "more" button next to the Site Name.
Keep in mind, reporting and targeting is based on Bundle Names and App IDs, not App Names. An App Bundle is the unique identifier for an app. App Bundles for Android are alphanumeric (i.e. com.thechive). App IDs are numberic for iOS (i.e. 418987775).
You can then use the data from the Site reports to determine which App Bundles are working best for your campaign. This is valuable if you are looking to create a whitelist of desired apps, or create a blacklist of apps you want to exclude specific apps from your campaign(s).
Domain lists cannot be created using App Names. Instead, you will need to include the App Bundle Name and App ID. Here are the steps to create an app list in the Domain Lists Screen:
- Click on +New Domain List
- Give the list a name
- Select the list type: Whitelist or Blacklist
- Enter the App Bundle Names and/or App IDs
Scenario 2: Using App Bundles/App IDs in New Campaigns
If you have not already run a campaign and you do not have campaign stats to pull app data from, you can still target apps. You will need to first visit the Android and/or Apple App stores to retrieve the App IDs to add to your domain list.
Google/Android apps are targeted on SiteScout RTB using the App Bundle Name:
- The ID in the Google Play store is right after the "?id=" part of an App's URL.
- For example, the URL for the Google Play store is: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rovio.angrybirds&hl=en
- Therefore, the App Bundle name is “com.rovio.angrybirds”.
Apple/iOS apps are targeted on SiteScout RTB using the App ID:
- The ID in the iTunes App store is right after the “id” part of the App’s URL.
- For example, the URL for the iTunes App store is: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/angry-birds/id343200656?mt=8
- Therefore, the App ID is “343200656”.
If you are looking to target both App Bundle and App ID, you can simply add both to your domain list, as seen below: