Note: Optimization is not enabled by default for all SiteScout users. Contact your support team for more information about this feature and its availability
SiteScout's optimization technology maximizes a campaign's performance by adjusting the CPM bid price and status based on campaign goals that you set.
The optimization algorithm changes the CPM bid and/or status of inventory sources that are generating clicks, conversions, or video views.
- If a placement meets the goal that you set, SiteScout will continue to bid higher in paced increments.
- If the placement doesn't meet the goal, SiteScout lowers the bid and/or turns off the placement. You have the option to set additional rules for how and when the bid and status adjustments take place.
How It Works
If click-through rate is the chosen goal, optimization creates rules that maximize the probability of clicks, using the theory that a domain or placement that provided a click in the past has a higher probability of providing a click again in the future. The algorithm increases bids for domains or placements that have produced more clicks, similar to what a buyer would do manually.
Note: Because its predictions are based on clicks from the past, a campaign must see clicks before the optimization algorithm can act. Click probabilities are quite low, and when the number of clicks are low–often in the early phases of a campaign–expect larger fluctuations in CTR, and then smaller transitions once the campaign has a larger sample size of clicks available.
Enabling Optimization for a Campaign
Before You Start: Optimization evaluates campaign goals by domain, so your campaign must be enabled for domain-based inventory before you can use optimization.
1. Create a new campaign.
2. In the Budget section of the General tab, be sure the campaign has a start date and an end date If the group specifies flight dates, campaign flight dates are optional.
3. In the Optimization section of the General tab, select On.
4. Choose a Goal type and target value. The target value can be a dollar amount or percentage, depending on the goal type you choose:
- Click-Thru Rate (CTR): Clicks to Impressions ratio, as a percentage: (Clicks / Impressions) * 100
- The default value is 0.05% CTR.
- Cost Per Click (eCPC): Cost to acquire a click: (Media Cost / Clicks)
- The default value is $5.00 eCPC.
- Cost Per Acquisition (eCPA): Cost to acquire an acquisition or conversion: (Media Cost / Conversions)
- The default value is $25 eCPA.
- Cost Per Completed Video (eCPCV): Cost to run a video through completion: (Media Cost / Completed Video Views)
- The default value is $0.10.
- Video Completion Rate (VCR): Video Completions to Impressions ratio, as a percentage: (Completed Video Views / Impressions)*100
- The default value is 50% VCR.
5. Choose a Maximum Bid, the highest CPM bid that can be a given to placement. The maximum bid should be higher than the campaign's Default CPM Bid.
6. Optional: Configure the Advanced optimization settings.
7. On the Inventory tab, you can choose the exchanges you want the campaign to run on. Optimized campaigns can be enabled to Run on Selected Exchanges or Run on All Exchanges.
8. Adjust your campaign targeting and audiences, link the creatives and save the campaign.